From:
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 2003 14:18:47 -0400
Subject: RE: [ USGS Topographic Map Shipments]
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:22:58 -0400
From: "Mark A. Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Linda,
(I'm posting this to Maps-L since I think it is of broad interest.)

Our problem is that much of what's on the white traditional shipping
lists isn't in the shipment. The green sheet matches the shipment, but
many things on the S.L. that we DO select aren't there.  For instance,
we select all 1:24,000 quads but out of over 150 sheets on S.L.
2003-13-TQ, we only got about 15-20.  We had the same problem with 12-TQ
(but not as many were missing), and we claimed them and have since
gotten all but a couple of the missing sheets.

Although the note with 13-TQ said to wait for another shipment before
claiming, when I called Denver they said to claim them.  He said the
note pertained to a single quad in Hawaii, so wouldn't apply when
jillions of quads are missing!!!  He was first trying to tell me that
any items on the white list not on the green list were because we don't
select them.  I'm sure that's the theory.  I had to explain that, in
fact, the stuff we didn't get was things that we do select. In fact, for
a given state we might have gotten half of the quads on the white S.L.,
but not the other half. Obviously this can't be due to not selecting
them, since you have to select all the quads for a state.

He also hinted that there might be a problem with their new "pick"
system not getting all the selection information for each depository
from GPO. That wouldn't seem to explain why we got half the Montana
quads and not the other half!  Still, they may need to start from
scratch and obtain complete and up-to-date selection info from GPO.  But
there may be something wrong with the pick system beyond just this.

We have gotten both the white s.l. and the green pick sheet with both
12-TQ a nd 13-TQ. The shipment with the maps claimes from 12-TQ just had
the pick sheet, as I'd expect.

--Mark
Mark Thomas / [log in to unmask] / 919-660-5853, fax:919-684-2855
Economics, Geology, Geography Bibliographer
Map and GIS Librarian / Public Documents and Maps Department
025 Perkins Library / Duke University, Durham, NC 27708-0177