From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2006 10:15:53 -0500
Subject:        Re: MAPS-L: Map Cataloging Training
Date:   Thu, 05 Oct 2006 09:48:28 -0400
From:   Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

This is an excellent suggestion David. For me though, its not a new one.
After I did a map cataloging session at the Pennsylvania Library
Association annual conference in 2004 I had a discussion along similar
lines with a professor at the Clarion University library school. He was
interested in doing the same thing in order to assist him in teaching
cataloging at the library school. I would very much like to "make time"
to transfer what is still 95% hardcopy materials into a digital format
and then online for all to use, perhaps even toy with capturing a
workshop or creating an online course to put up on the web for folks to
use. It is the /time/ element that has prevented me from moving forward
on this, and is likely the same reason that others have not done so to
date also. One critical thing that is lost in such a transaction as
someone logging into a "taped" session to view on their own is the
person-to-person interaction, the give and take of Q&A that enhances the
questioners' understanding of a point or topic (and likely other
attendees' understanding too). So, another route would be to develop a
"webinar" format for a map cataloging workshop -- once again this takes
alot of time and effort.

So, while I concur that your idea is a very good one, and I would like
to participate in some way to make something like this happen, both my
personal and professional lives combined make for a big roadblock.
Still, I'm willing to explore things, and I'm sure Susan Moore and
others might be also.

If I may make a tangential point here also: folks reading this should be
aware that an ALA Preconference on cataloging historical cartographic
materials is going to happen at the 2007 American Library Association
Annual Conference in Washington, D.C., to be held at the Library of
Congress' Geography and Map Division (to make use of some of their
excellent materials and people). So, anyone in need of training for
handling historical maps and atlases, whether in a library collection, a
historical archive, a museum collection or similar repositories, should
stay tuned for announcements about this exciting offering! Carolyn
Kadri, Nancy Kandoian, and Seanna Tsung are planning and organizing this
2-day workshop, sponsored by MAGERT, and co-sponsorted by ALA ALCTS and
others.

Paige