From:
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 2011 13:37:39 -0500
Subject: Re: Software Mapmaker / Mapmaker Pro?
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 13:51:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: Mike Zdeb <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Hi ... re "If you use alternate equivalent software, then I am also
interested.
Basically looking at sub-ArcGIS simple map making software."

In case you do not know about this, EPI-INFO ...

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/epiinfo/

is free from the Centers for Disease Control.

It contains a module called EPI-MAP that is  based
on ARCGIS.  It uses freely available shapefiles from CDC ...

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/epiinfo/script/shapefiles.aspx

or from anywhere else.

There's an EPI-MAP tutorial ...

ftp://ftp.cdc.gov/pub/Software/epi_info/EIHAT_WEB/Lesson9EpiMap.pdf

that's part of a larger tool ...

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/epiinfo/script/eihat.aspx

--
Mike Zdeb