From:
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:09:17 -0500
Subject: RE: weight of map cases]
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:04:32 -0500
From: HelenJane Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
To: 'Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum' <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
In 1961, Catherine Bahn of the Library of Congress did an article for
Special Libraries Association Geography and Map Division Bulletin on Map
Libraries Space and Equipment.  It includes a table for filled map cases,
estimated weight of maps, etc.  The weight of the map case top and base are
included and I found the weight of the topless 5 drawer map case in the
Hamilton catalog.  The basics have not changed since the article which has
been quoted widely.  The article was republished in the "Map Librarianship:
Readings" edited by Drazniowsky.  Mary Galneder later quoted and updated the
information for a SLA presentation.  SLA Geography & Map Division "Bulletin"
article is in No.46(1961) p.3-17.  It was prepared for the Standards
Committee of the SLA G & M. Div.
Hope this helps.  I have used the information for each of the Map Libraries
I have set up and for a number of moves.  It has been extremely helpful.
Please let me know if you need any additional information.
Helen

HelenJane Armstrong, PhD
Head, Map & Imagery Library
George A. Smathers Libraries