From:
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2012 07:55:26 -0600
Subject: Re: printing online maps and adding to physical collections
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 15:05:34 -0800
From: Kathy Stroud <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Jon,

The short answer is "sometimes." If an online map fits the collection
development profile of my collection, I ask myself a number of questions.

1) Is the online version likely to be available long term, or do I
suspect it might be removed from the Internet?

2) Do I anticipate patrons will want to use the map in a physical form?
How many requests do I expect?

3) Do I think the map will be useful to patrons 5 yrs., 10 yrs., down
the road?

4) Do I have the right to download the file and print out a copy for our
collection?

5) Do I have the right and capability to archive a digital copy?

With these in mind, I decide whether to do one or more of the following:
    - Have the online edition cataloged (almost always if I think the
URL is stable. If GPO's cataloging use their records or rely on Marchive
Records.)
    - Get a copy printed out.  Use good quality paper if you want to
keep the map for more than 5 years.
    - Download the file(s) and archive it.

I try to keep printing maps to a minimum.  One example where I have done
it was a non-profit in Palestine was publishing online maps reflecting
their view of current conditions.  I wrote them and asked for permission
to print copies to add to our collection because I knew that we had
students and faculty on campus doing related research. One of the
reasons I did this was that the website was unstable due to local
infrastructure problems.  This is an extreme case.

I've also considered printing paper maps from online in the case of
regional federal documents or local government documents where I
consider the information to have high potential usefulness in the future
and the government agency doesn't have a clear digital archiving
policy/procedure. Also, if I get repeated request for something (such as
a new geology map for my local area), I might print it (especially if
that's cheaper than buying a paper copy). Also, many government
published maps are born digital and there isn't a print run.  If you
order a print copy, they do print on demand and the result may not be as
good as your local plotter.

I believe there are cataloging guidelines for local notes about when you
downloaded and print an item if you choose to catalog it for your
collection.

Oh, and of course I'm going to print out a copy of the NW USDA plant
hardiness zones. It and the sunshine currently out my window have
inspired a "getting ready for spring planting" display in the map
collection.

Kathy Stroud
David and Nancy Petrone Map/GIS Librarian
Knight Library
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-1299
541-346-3051