From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 2010 11:22:10 -0600
Subject: Populated place in Mexico: town and city vs municipio
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 12:20:20 -0500
From: Gonzalez,Jorge A <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Dear group,

I have encountered both LCSH geographic (place names) authority records
for Mexican towns and municipalities that have been treated as one
entity and as separate entities.

It appears from my searches that GEONET Names Server (GNS) likes to NOT
differentiate between "municipios" and towns comprise the same area (per
BGN - although I have not found the reference).

In regard to some examples of authority records by DLC:

Take the example of Agua Dulce, there is an entry for the "city" of Agua
Dulce (ARN 07983760) AND another entry for the "municipio" of Agua Dulce
(ARN 07983773)

While...

Ciudad de Valles (Mexico: Municipio) (ARN08407401) has just one entry
that combines BOTH town and municipio.

So some notes in the authority records support the 2 entry pattern such as:
667  Heading valid for the municipality only; seat name: xxxx xxxxxxx

I am going to assume that IF the town/city comprise the same area, that
they deserve one record, but how can you just determine that is the case
for any particular "municipio?"

Thanks!

Jorge A. González P.
Library Associate II