From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 2009 13:48:17 -0500
Subject:        Re: [MAPS-L] Map cataloging questions from beginning catalogers
Date:   Wed, 07 Oct 2009 13:47:12 -0500
From:   Susan Moore <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

Maps-L Moderator wrote:
> [...]

Welcome to the world of map cataloging!

It isn't unusual for items like this to have sheets with different
edition statements. What I usually do is add a 500 note "Sheets in
various editions" to explain the situation.

Since you do have several different editions, I'd be incline to catalog
this as a map series, rather than a single map. OCLC's Bibliographic
Format and Standards defines a map series as "a number of related but
physically separate and bibliographically distinct cartographic units
intended by the producers or issuing bodies to form a single group."
Since the sheets can be cataloged separately, I think what you have
matches the definition. If you do decide to catalog this as a map
series, the CrTp in the fixed field needs to be a "b". Other than that
and putting the scale in as part of the call number, you would catalog
it much as you would a single map.

Feel free to contact me if you have further questions.

Susan Moore
Rod Library
University of Northern Iowa
Cedar Falls, IA  50613