From:
HelenJane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 10:05:05 EST
We are in the process of ordering some thematic atlases for the University
of Florida Map & Imagery Library.  I have received suggestions for atlases
listed as "active" (in print)in "Books In Print" On-line, but they had no
accompaning information about content, reviews,etc.  I have not found any
reviews for these and I am hoping someone on MAPS-L could refer me to a
review of any of the atlases or could give me an opinion as to it's
value for an academic library.  I am particularly concerned about whether
the "medical" atlases are cartographic atlases or those type of medical
atlases which center on subjects such as the blood circulation system
of a frog.

The atlases are:
"European Community Atlas of Avoidable Death, 1985-1989". 1997 Oxford U Press.
"Atlas of Cancer Mortality in Central Europe" 1996 Oxford Univ. Press.
"Atlas of the British Empire" Smithmark Pub. Christopher Bayly, No Date.
"Atlas of Threatened Cultures" 1997 Raintree Press
"Atlas of Rainforests" 1997 Raintree Press
"Atlas of Modern American Culture Baby Boom to 21st Century..." Macmillian
       PUB. Moschovitis Group. No date

Any help you could give us would be greatly appreciated.  If you do not
want to share your opinions publicly please send your response to me at
[log in to unmask]   I will be happy to provide a sanitized summary
for MAPS-L. with the sources removed.  Thank you.
HelenJane Armstrong, Head Map & Imagery Library, University of Florida