From:
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 15:20:31 EDT
4 messages.-------------------------------------Johnnie

>Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 17:26:09 +0000
>From: Nat Case <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Largest Maps

The reference to running around a map on "Carmen SanDiego" brings back a
movie memory. Has anyone else seen the Fred & Ginger movie "The Story of
Irene and Vernon Castle"? In it, there's a scene of them "dancing across
the country," literally, showing how as the Castles toured, their dance
style became a national craze. I don't know if it was a double exposure
or if they actually danced on a huge map on a studio floor, but it is
one of the more effective uses of maps as a movie device I've seen, and
possibly another example of a Very Large Map.
--
Nat Case
Hedberg Maps, Inc.

Publisher of PROFESSOR PATHFINDER Maps
Production Office (White River Jct, VT): [log in to unmask]
Business and Sales Office (Minneapolis, MN): [log in to unmask]

>Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 11:35:28 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Kathleen Trevitt-Clark <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: largest map

Hi-
    You are right, the ONC does skip some bits of ocean.  However, the JNC
series, scale 1:2,000,000 doesn't, and is a lot cheaper then the old
soviet 1:2,500,000 set.
          Sue Trevitt-Clark

>Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 10:19:29 -0400 (EDT)
>From: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Largest Map

At one time the Defense Mapping Agency made a wall-size version of their
Mercator world map that came in three or four panels.  The following are a
few things it shows:  time zones, shaded relief, rough ocean depths.  I
couldn't tell you if the map is still in production though.

Jim

>From: D Forrest <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 12:39:17 GMT
>Subject: Re: largest map

Yesterday I came across a photo in the March GIS Europe of a world
map painted on a power station cooling tower in Zagreb. (Vol.6/3
p.7). (I wonder what the projection is called ?)

This is part of an exhibition entitled 'Cartographers - the
World in the eyes of contemporary artists. For more information see
their web page http://www.ccb.hr/ccb/cartographers. I have yet to
check this out myself.

David Forrest'