From:
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2012 10:34:47 -0500
Subject:        OCLC QC Tip of the Month / October 2012: MARC Field 264
Date:   Fri, 5 Oct 2012 11:12:09 -0400
From:   Goodson,Luanne <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>

OCLC QC Tip of the Month / October 2012: MARC Field 264

[Cross-posted to multiple lists-- please excuse/ignore duplication]

************************************************************************************************************************

Field 264 was defined in the MARC 21 Bibliographic format Update No. 13
in 2011 (http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd264.html)  and
implemented in OCLC as part of the OCLC-MARC Update 2012 in May.  It is
documented in OCLC Technical Bulletin 261
(http://www.oclc.org/support/documentation/worldcat/tb/261/default.htm)
until our documentation staff has a chance to add it to "Bibliographic
Formats and Standards," "OCLC-MARC Records," and other relevant OCLC
documents later this year.

The Program for Cooperative Cataloging (PCC) announced on June 12, 2012,
the availability of the document “PCC Guidelines for the 264 Field”
athttp://www.loc.gov/aba/pcc/documents/264-Guidelines.doc.  At that
time, OCLC informed users they could begin to use field 264 according to
these guidelines and with these cautions offered by the PCC:  “It should
be noted that these guidelines do not address the application of the 264
field for materials cataloged under the standards for Descriptive
Cataloging of Rare Materials (DCRM) or other standards for specialized
materials.  The communities working on the application of RDA for
specialized materials will need to develop appropriate guidelines for
using the 264 field with those materials.”  PCC participants creating
RDA records were otherwise instructed to begin following those
guidelines immediately.

A note on OCLC Technical Bulletins
(http://www.oclc.org/support/documentation/technicalbulletins/default.htm)
:

OCLC Technical Bulletins are intended to supplement our other documents,
such as Bibliographic Formats and Standards
(BFAS)http://www.oclc.org/bibformats/en/, until our documentation staff
has a chance to work the new material into them.  The OCLC documentation
staff are currently working to implement a new content management
system, which has been more difficult and time-consuming than had been
expected.  But we are hoping that all of the new elements noted in TB
261 can be folded into BFAS before the end of the year.  Actually, the
relevant material from OCLC-MARC Update 2012 (TB 261) has already been
added to Authorities:  Format and Indexes
(seehttp://www.oclc.org/support/documentation/worldcat/authorities/authformat/abstract/abstract.htm)

and Searching WorldCat Indexes
(seehttp://www.oclc.org/support/documentation/worldcat/searching/searchworldcatindexes/abstract/abstract.htm).

Please be assured that we will get to BFAS as soon as we possibly can.

If you have questions, please send email
to:[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Luanne Goodson

OCLC, WorldCat Quality & Partner Content Dept.