From:
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 16:29:52 -0500
Subject: RE: Media Library Map Collection
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:40:15 -0600
From: "Bigwood, David" <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
E.,

A good resource for all weeding questions in schools is the Sunlink Weed
of
the Month Club. http://www.sunlink.ucf.edu/weed/ They have recently done
geography and back in 1999 did maps and atlases. That should give you a
starting place.

Unlike a research library, you want current accurate materials for your
students. Long term preservation is not an issue. It is best to store
them
flat and unfolded. If that is not possible, store them in a way that
they
can be used without damage to each other, tearing is probably your
largest
concern. Consider how your users will access them, will they use the
catalog
and then go to the exact one they want, or will they want to browse?

Hope this helps,

Sincerely,
David Bigwood
Lunar & Planetary Institute