From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick McGlamery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:56:11 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 17:06:23 -0500
From: Patrick McGlamery <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: Digitizing Sanborn, Hopkins, et al <fwd>
Sender: Patrick McGlamery <[log in to unmask]>

Hey all;

As far as I know the Sanborn Atlases are not out of copyright.  I believe
the copyright is owned by Environmental Data Resources, Inc.
<http://environmental-data.com/reports/historical.html>

I am pleased to introduce UConn MAGIC's  Historical Maps of Connecticut
<http://magic.lib.uconn.edu/cgi-bin/MAGIC_HistList.pl>.  I've been working
on it for the past couple of years and will continue to add, of course.

This semester we finished scanning negative photostatic images of towns in
Connecticut which were taken from the Beers and Grey atlases.  I converted
the negatives to positives.  They lack color, of course, but at good scans
and have the cartographic info.  We don't have any of the original Atlases
anyway, just these "Peterson Collection" copies and microfilm from LoCG&M.

Take a look at <http://magic.lib.uconn.edu/cgi-bin/MAGIC_HistList.pl>  I
have to work on the MrSID Image Server Perl script to get the image to line
up right, but I'll get to it one of these days. I looked at the Hopkins, but
color is a real factor and I have a very good B&W scanner, so I'll get
through that part of my collection that is B&W first.

I have to admit, I'm pretty pleased with these.

Patrick McGlamery