From:
Date:
Mon, 23 Dec 1996 14:52:02 EST
This message came to me from another list, H-West (western history), but I
thought Maps-L people would be interested.--------------------Johnnie

>Date:         Fri, 20 Dec 1996 07:35:02 -0600
>Sender: H-Net Western History List <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Elliott West <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      FFYI: Cultural Maps of Wisconsin

>Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 00:33:58 -0600 (CST)
>From: "H-Net Exec Director: Richard Jensen" <[log in to unmask]>

[Associate Press story; fair use reprint for
nonprofit educational use only, from
[from DUBUQUE TELEGRAPH HERALD, Dec 11, 1996]

   Cultural map pinpoints state landmarks

   Associated Press

   First-ever: Seeking the site of the first sundae? It's here

   MADISON (AP) - A University of Wisconsin-Madison geographer has made
   it easier for people to find the locations of such places as the
   world's largest fish fry and the birthplace of the ice cream sundae.

   David Woodward has put these and many other historical sites in
   Wisconsin on what he said is the state's first-ever cultural map.

   The map's front shows the entire state, including topography, roads,
   waterways and areas of ethnic and religious importance. The back
   includes many more sites of interest on smaller cultural maps of 16
   cities. A separate index lists sites by county.

   Other UW geographers who helped construct the cultural guide were
   Robert Ostergren, Onno Brouwer, Steven Hoelscher and Joshua Hane.

   The group suffered a setback this summer when Hane, its lead
   topographer, died during an Alaskan climbing accident.

   "He was an enormously enthusiastic person who always gave 125 percent
   effort in everything," said Onno Brouwer, associate director of the UW
   cartography lab.

   "In the last push toward publication, I sense that the rest of the
   team has pulled together strongly because of Josh's spirit," Woodward
   said.

   Those who worked on the map call it a godsend for anyone interested in
   finding lighthouses, rustic roads, historical markers, parks,
   festivals and fairs, recreational trails, and archaeological sites.

   The map is the first of its kind in any state, pinpointing more than
   1,200 historical and cultural sites, both famous and obscure, Woodward
   said.

   His favorite cultural sites are Norskedalen, a reconstructed Norwegian
   village near La Crosse, and the birthplace of the ice-cream sundae in
   Two Rivers. The sundae was concocted in 1881 at a soda fountain, where
   the addition of chocolate increased its cost. To limit the demand, it
   was sold only on Sundays, thus the name. How the spelling came to be
   changed is a mystery.

   Other sites scattered across the map include Laura Ingalls Wilder's
   Little House in the Big Woods near Pepin, the World's Largest Fish Fry
   is at Port Washington and John Muir's boyhood farm near Montello.

   Hoard's Dairy Shrine in Fort Atkinson, the hexagon-shaped Milton House
   and Beloit College's Logan Museum of Anthropology are also noted.

   [INLINE] 1996 Associated Press
   Next Story
   Return to the Wisconsin section index

               Comments? Criticism? Story ideas? Talk to us.