From:
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 16:10:52 -0400
Subject: RE:   [Fwd: mapinfo v esri, and fraud detection]
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 10:44:18 -0700
From: Rothal, Jeff USA <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
RE: the GIS & fraud discussion--I found this by searching LexisNexis.
I've excerpted what seems to be the most relevant portion.  (RMA stands
for Risk Management Agency.):

Copyright 2003 FDCH e-Media, Inc.
(f/k/a Federal Document Clearing House, Inc.)
Federal Document Clearing House Congressional Testimony
May 22, 2003 Thursday
SECTION: CAPITOL HILL HEARING TESTIMONY
LENGTH: 3947 words
COMMITTEE: HOUSE AGRICULTURE
SUBCOMMITTEE: GENERAL FARM COMMODITIES
HEADLINE: STATE OF CROP INSURANCE INDUSTRY
TESTIMONY-BY: ROSS J. DAVIDSON, JR.,, ADMINISTRATOR, RISK MANAGEMENT
AGENCY
AFFILIATION: DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE

[snip]

RMA is upgrading its Geographic Information System (GIS), using current
mapping and imagery technology, and infrared data to assist in making
compliance determinations. For example, RMA began monitoring the lay
down of raisins from the air using aerial infrared images in combination
with field visits by RMA personnel to deter potential crop insurance
abuse due to low prices and other market conditions. In combination with
favorable weather conditions, these efforts resulted in maintaining a
very low loss ratio on approximately 400, 000 acres of raisins. Now, RMA
is looking at further integrating imagery technology into its data
mining effort to reduce and prevent fraud.

GIS provides timely and historical imagery analysis of individual fields
and tracts. A GIS workstation has been established in every regional and
compliance office using Environmental Systems Research Institute (ESRI)
software. RMA is also working with business partners, private industry
and other government agencies to enhance our GIS technology. These
combined efforts provide additional help in preventing, deterring and
prosecuting crop insurance fraud through information technology.

[snip]

Jeff Rothal
Research Assistance & Instruction Librarian
Naval Postgraduate School
Dudley Knox Library (Code 013)
Monterey CA 93943 U.S.A.
phone (831) 656-2344