From:
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2011 13:20:43 -0600
Subject: RE: interest in old USGS state atlases?
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 19:13:11 +0000
From: Robert Lopresti <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

One correction, if I may.  Christopher says below:

>But if they are stamped  depository, by law they can only be given to another institution or be recycled.  Shame, but that's the system.

Not quite.  I actually e-chatted with Robin Haun-Mohammed at the GPO
about this last week.  Depository materials can be given to another
institution, or recycled, but they can also be put out for interested
parties to take away.  The big no-no is (as Chris said) that they can't
be sold in any way.  In fact, if you recycle them and get money that
way, the money has to go to GPO.

Rob

Rob Lopresti
Map Librarian, Liaison for Huxley College and Government Information
Librarian
Western Washington University