From:
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 15:02:39 -0400
Subject:        Re: scanning encapsulated maps
Date:   Wed, 28 Apr 2004 20:11:17 EDT
From:   [log in to unmask]

I have done a small amount of scanning of encapsulated maps.  I had no
perceptible problems scanning small encapsulated maps on a desktop
scanner.  However, when I sent out several larger sheets to be scanned
by an agency that specializes in digitizing library materials, there
were some problems with reflections caused by the mylar.  These did not
prevent the images from being usable, but they were noticible and mildly
annoying.  You can see the images at
http://www.sunysb.edu/libmap/lilinks.htm
Look for the MrSID images under "Maps from Myron L. Fuller...."

David Allen
Map Librarian, Emeritus
Stony Brook University