From:
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:56:28 -0500
Subject:        Re: Sanborn maps
Date:   Tue, 25 Jan 2005 13:03:54 -0600
From:   Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

Rich,

We have implemented a policy that we feel serves our patrons and honors
copyright. First of all, we will scan and provide a copy of a pre 1923
item at a high resolution and in whatever format the patron wishes (tif,
jpg, etc). In addition, if the item is from after 1923 but is not
copyright protected, we also provide a scan. We have a form that the
patron reads and signs indicating that the patron is responsible for
honoring copyright and they understand "fair use" which is their
responsibility - not ours.

When the item is from after 1923 and is clearly copyright protected we
do a couple of things: 1) we have the patron sign the form explaining
that the item is copyright protected and that they (the patrons) are
responsible for honoring that right and that their use is within fair
use and 2) we provide only a part of the item one of two ways:  a) we
scan a portion of the map or b) we scan at a low resolution (100dpi -
powerpoint presentations display at 72 dpi so this resolution is
adequate for most student reports - which is the majority of our
'business').  This second part isn't really necessary according to our
lawyers, but because there is so little case law regarding this issue,
we felt it better to be safe. We do charge a fee to make these copies
(to cover costs) so for newer items it's easier for students or faculty
to run to the local map store and buy their own map and take it to a
computer lab and scan the portion they need by themselves. We find that
most items scanned are rare or hard to find items that students are
willing to pay to get.  The main point is that the patron signs that
they are using the item within the fair use guidelines and that they are
responsible for honoring any copyright held by the map producer. If the
patron indicates they want to publish or sell an item or use it for
another use that is not within fair use, obviously, we would not provide
a scan for them.

I hope that makes sense. I'm trying to summarize a complex issue and
hopefully doing it well enough.

I'll see if we can get our "form" posted to the web, if anyone is
interested in seeing that.

Angie

-

ANGIE COPE, Academic Map Librarian