From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2008 12:32:32 -0600
Subject:        giveaway of older soil maps
Date:   Fri, 8 Feb 2008 12:25:24 -0600 (CST)
From:   Christopher Winters <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask], Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum

The University of Chicago Map Collection has been
deduping its collection of early 20th-century U.S.
soil maps. As most of you know, these are 1:62,500
or 1:63,360 maps of small areas (mostly counties)
that are useful not only for information on soils
but (perhaps even more) for the topographic base
maps, many of which cover areas never included in
published 15 minute sheets. Be warned that the
soil maps were mostly published folded so they
look their age, but they're perfectly usable.

We'd be glad to send the following to requesting
libraries. If possible, we'd prefer not to break
up state sets. The following list shows the number
of sheets available for each state. If interested
please e-mail Map Assistant Joost Dupon at

Thanks.

Arkansas         8
Georgia         52
Indiana          1