From:
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 2003 09:30:10 -0400
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Boston Bar]
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 14:43:32 -0400
From: David Cobb <[log in to unmask]>

------------------

Velma -

I believe if you look very closely you will realize that it really says
"Boston Bay" although it may look like "Boston Bar." Des Barres
originally
referred to area nearest to Boston as Boston Harbor and the area to the
south stretching into Cape Cod Bay as Boston Bay. The specific view you
are
looking at from left to right is actually from the south to the north.
The
southern tip is now known as Gurnet Point (just northeast of Plymouth)
and
it extends to the north to Cohasset - this area is now known as the
South
Shore in Massachusetts.

This plate seems to have been issued in two states: the first ca. 1777
and
the second 1779. It is not found among the 1781 editions, is not
included
in the printed list of charts dated 1781, and seems to have been dropped
from later editions. The first state is mildly colored and includes no
imprint at the bottom of the plate. The second state is notably changed
as
many ships and boats of all sizes are added to the views and they are
more
elegantly colored. This state too lacks any imprint and both views are
known to be in a folded condition from the tall narrow volumes which
charcterized the early printings of the Neptune.

David