Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2007 08:21:35 -0500
Subject:        vertical map cases
Date:   Tue, 18 Sep 2007 16:22:14 -0700
From:   [log in to unmask]
To:     [log in to unmask]

Do any of you in map-land have suggestions as to how to track your maps
shelved in vertical map cases? We have a printed paper on the inside lid
with each folder numbered and a space to label the range of the maps
inside each folder. You can really only have about 40 map sheets per
folder for a working collection, or they get too crammed. So we write
the number of map sheets next to the range, and then keep a file empty
every so often in case we need to shift. But over time, it is a
laborious process to cross out the number, and add or subtract as the
collection changes., especially if you receive a new collection. We
shelve alphabetically for some maps, and by call # for others. I was
just wondering what you all do, and if there is an easier way. Not being
a map librarian, I am certainly not an expert, but I have somehow
evolved into being the map person!

Debbi

Debra McCracken
Library Technician I