From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick McGlamery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 16:06:31 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 09:33:55 -0400
From: Patrick McGlamery <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: deaccessioning of national topographic map collections
<fwd>
Sender: Patrick McGlamery <[log in to unmask]>

At UConn we also retain all copies of all Topos.

Additionally we are trying to get as many versions as we can online.
<http://mapserver.lib.uconn.edu/magic/>

HJ makes an interesting comment, "Repeatedly we have found patrons using the
Digital Raster Graphic CD's  will
return to the Library to view a paper copy.  This group includes the novice
to the experts in GIS.  Sometimes it is a simple thing like wanting to see a
group of quadrangles all at once.  Other times students such as landscape
architect majors are looking for project sites in an unknown region and want
to view various areas before obtaining the DRG."

I wholeheartedly agreed.  Last year we began to encapsulate one copy of each
variant, veg & non-veg for all of our Connecticut holdings.  I was just
finding that the general availability of topos on the Web was generating
more use of the paper maps... and they were beginning to show it.  I like to
say that those historical topos and air photos are our state's and nation's
baby pictures.  We don't want to throw them away.

Patrick McGlamery