From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 2008 07:30:47 -0500
Subject:        Re: standard map series designation
Date:   Fri, 15 Aug 2008 21:39:01 -0400
From:   [log in to unmask]
To:     [log in to unmask]

Jessica,

Just a quick reply on a late Friday night, as I am quite
familiar with the AMS and related "series" stuff. First, you
provide an excellent 246 example, that is the way it should
be constructed as based on the scope notes in the Authority
Record (and nothing more!). Second, this particular "series"
is very confusing because it looks like a true series, and
maybe up until the mid 1960s? was treated that way, but
eventually LC declared it to not be a true series, and I'm
guessing this may be based on the fact that many countries
contributed to the creation of the maps over time with
similar designations, as opposed to this being a single
series from a single source. Regardless of this, you are
following the Authority Record correctly, use the 246 field,
first indicator 1, second indicator blank, plug in the
"Standard series..." phrase in $a and the alphanumeric
designation in $b. This replaces any kind of 4xx/8xx true
series situation. Feel free to use a 500 note to bring out
information you feel compellingly important, though  if you
are asking about putting the "V882" or "Series V822" in a
500 note why would you want to duplicate that information
that will appear in a variant title field?

Anyway, thats what I can share off the top of my head at the
beginning of a weekend. If you wait I'm sure others will
chime in on this early next week.

Sincerely,

Paige