From:
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2013 08:27:53 -0500
Subject:        [ANZMapS] RE: more on identification of 19th century mapset of
Shanghai area.
Date:   Fri, 15 Mar 2013 07:49:48 +0000
From:   Brendan Whyte <[log in to unmask]>
To:     mapsL <[log in to unmask]>, Carto-soc
<[log in to unmask]>, AMC <[log in to unmask]>,

A month ago, I sought information on a set of untitled, undated 19th
century maps of the Shanghai area.

Thanks to Francis Herbert (ex RGS) and Andrew Janes (UK Naional
Archives), and Christian Henriot (Virtual Shanghai project), we have now
been able to identify, catalogue and scan them. A dated watermark in the
paper of the maps (Francis' suggestion to look for) helped prove that
they are original 1865 maps and not later facsimiles as I originlaly
thought (given their excellent condition).

The maps are

Military plan of the country around Shanghai from surveys made in 1862,
63, 64, 65  by Lieut. Col. Gordon...

That's Charles "Chinese" Gordon, who was defending Shanghai from the
Taiping rebellion at the time, and went on to get himself killed in
Khartoum, which led to the sending of a NSW contingent to the Sudan
under Kitchener's command. So the maps have an Australian connection too.
It appears that the National Library of Australia holds the only
(catalogued) copy of these maps, and the only looseleaf copy, outside
the UK National Archive's bound copy.
The map set, including the two titled and dated index/overview sheets
[which we discovered were already catlaogued, but were separated from
the main maps, so had no identifiable connection to them] have been
scanned and uploaded today. Scans and catalogue record are at:
http://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/3490166
Thanks again to Francis, Andrew and Christian for their efforts, and I
hope this most interesting set is useful to cartophiles and historians.
Copies can be ordered via the catlaogue record: $16.50 per sheet on
paper, colour, original size, worldwide p&p included; $45 per image on
CD of ftp, 300dpi tiff , worldwide p&p included.
Dr Brendan Whyte
Assistant Curator of Maps
National Library of Australia

__._,_.___

        Reply to sender
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

        Reply to group
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

        Start a New Topic
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ANZMapS/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJlc3VkbHY1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE1NzU1MDIEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3MjA4NTY1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTM2MzMzMzc5MA-->

        Messages in this topic
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ANZMapS/message/4842;_ylc=X3oDMTM0ZTJxZnJxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE1NzU1MDIEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3MjA4NTY1BG1zZ0lkAzQ4NzQEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMzYzMzMzNzkwBHRwY0lkAzQ4NDI->

(7)

Recent Activity:

Visit Your Group
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ANZMapS;_ylc=X3oDMTJlbGl1N2N2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE1NzU1MDIEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3MjA4NTY1BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTM2MzMzMzc5MA-->

Switch to: Text-Only
<mailto:[log in to unmask] Delivery
Format: Traditional>, Daily Digest
<mailto:[log in to unmask] Delivery: Digest> •
Unsubscribe
<mailto:[log in to unmask]> • Terms
of Use <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> • Send us Feedback
<mailto:[log in to unmask] on the