From:
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 1994 12:01:22 EDT
Two messages on the topic of lending maps.-------Johnnie

      Thu, 4 Aug 1994 11:33:17 -0700 (PDT)
      Phil Hoehn <[log in to unmask]>
       : Re: lending maps

We are putting individual sheet

On Thu, 4 Aug 1994 [log in to unmask] wrote:

> I have seen a number of  posts recently re lending maps which we are
> considering  doing at QUT Library. I would much appreciate hearing how
> any maps librarians have handled this .....particularly lending maps
> in series which have only a series record in the online catalogue and
> therefore do not have individual records in the loans module. Do you
> have individual records for each map sheet in a series????
>
> An early response would incur my gratitude as policy decisions are
> imminent (next week) :-)

    : Fri, 05 Aug 1994 10:18:25 +0200
         Re: lending maps

As a depositary library we do not lend any of our maps to
customers. They may have a look at them and may reproduce them,
taking into account existing copy-right regulations.

However for information-retrieval's sake we DO describe all maps
on sheet level. If we wouldn't our automated catalogue would show
some 6,700 map descriptions. However at the moment the catalogue
contains more than 45,000 descriptions divided over 1-, 2-, 3-
and 4-level descriptions. The reasons for this perfomance is:

a. One cannot really speak of new editions of map-series as not
all sheets are reproduced at the same time or have different
revision cycles (urban vs rural). Therefore after some time
index-sheets become a jumble.
b. If multi-part items are not described in levels it is very
difficult to show how the information is structured. This is
essential e.g. with planning publications or government green,
white etc. papers.
c. The catalogue doesn't show enough diversified area-entries as
each record can support only a certain amount of entries.
d. The catalogue programme can convert a multi-level record
easily into a one-level record, which make access easy in small
collections with a restricted area of interest.
There are more reasons, but this should do.

However, most map collections are afraid of all the work the
creation of multi-level records may entail. You are indeed right
when you take into account the initial workload. But as soon as
you come to the next revision cycle of a certain multi-sheet
publication the update of a record takes minimal time. When map
collections catalogue within a central system (like OCLC or PICA,
which of course nowadays all have copy facilities) the work can
be portioned between participating institutions and within 5 to
10 years you'll have a magnificent database with much more
discriminatory data for your clients to choose from.

Though we do not have a graphic interface yet it will be created
from the bibliographic database and in the not too far future we
can show again a much better structured index-map of which
mapcurators and their clients are so fond!

Jan Smits
Mapcurator Royal Library, the National Library of The Netherlands