From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2010 10:41:33 -0500
Subject:        Re: Map of ocean currents?
Date:   Thu, 2 Sep 2010 10:51:29 -0400
From:   Robert Murowchick <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship
CC:     Robert Murowchick <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Judith and Maps-L,
A quick search of the web shows that the antiquarian map dealer Paulus
Swaen has an identical copy described
at http://www.swaen.com/antique-map-image-of.php?id=2577

It is described as follows:

*ANONYMOUS - A view of the General & Coasting Trade-Winds in the Atlantic*
Antique map published in London c.1690  (5.7. x .18.8 inches. 14.5. x
.47.8 cm.)    Several vertical folds as issued. Dark impression, upper
and left margin cut close.
An uncommon map of the Oceans with its currents and winds between
35degrees North and 35degrees South latitude.
To the right /Formoso/ (Taiwan), part of Japan and part of Australia.
Based on Halley's 1686 wind map.

Edmond Halley's 1686 trade wind map can be seen
at http://liber-maps.kb.nl/articles/15egmond06.jpg

Yrs,
Bob Murowchick

Dr. Robert E. Murowchick
/Director/
International Center for East Asian Archaeology and Cultural History
Boston University
650 Beacon Street, Suite 505
Boston, Massachusetts 02215 USA

Tel. 617/358-8000
Fax  617/358-8008
Email: <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
*
*
*ICEAACH* Website: http://www.bu.edu/asianarc

*Boston University Department of
Archaeology* website: http://www.bu.edu/archaeology

Visit the new *"Asian Studies at Boston University"** *website:
<http://www.bu.edu/asian>http://www.bu.edu/asian