From:
Darius Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1993 14:51:37 EDT

>  Does anyone know of a map showing how many people live at sea level and then
   va
>  rious increments of elevations above sea level? The patron wants this for the
>  S.  I sort of picture this as a contour map for the whole country with some s
   or
>  t of symbol for showing the population.

Geoffrey Dutton presented a paper (on behalf of himself and a number of co-
workers), on their work in using GIS for coastal flood vulnerability mapping
in the US, at the ICC in Cologne last Easter. He referred to the FEMA maps
(Federal Emergency Management Agency), which apparently were a data source
for this. Unfortunately only the (very brief) abstract of his paper is given
in the Conference proceedings, and I gathered that much of what he described
he considered to be subject to commercial sentitivities. However, it sounded
as if these maps should be available to the public, and they may be what you
are looking for. Alternatively, if your client is GIS-literate and really
needs the information, presumably by taking these maps (which show the extent
of reach of the 50-year, 100-year, etc flood), and overlaying them in a GIS
with maps of population distribution, s/he would get the information needed...
though they may not want to go to this length :-)

Try also sending your request to the COASTGIS listserv list. This is populated
by people interested in Coastal applications of GIS. You may get joy that
way. The address is [log in to unmask] (if you want to subscribe, send
a request to LISTSERV at the same node).

Good luck!
Darius Bartlett