From:
James Boxall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 1996 12:11:22 EST
To give a Canadian perspective on this....

The Canadian Council for Geographic Education (CCGE)..which is the education
committee of the Royal Canadian Geographical Society...is also participating
in a similar event called "The Great Canadian Geography Challenge"...

Provinical finals are being held tomorrow (Sat.)..then, after the National
finals (with Alex Trebek...a Canadian BTW..hosting) will be later in May..

After that...it's the International Geography Olympiad!

And as far as Map Librarians et al being involved.....well..it's a perfect
idea!!!   That's why I am judging the Nova Scotia finals..and I will be
doing a Netscape and GIS demo for the students, parents and teachers
present.  I consider this time well spent on my Saturday....it gives me a
chance to "teach" about what I do and why it can be of value to a wider
community...in essence..giving back to the community....

Cheers
James

>Maps Folk,
>
>  In case you aren't aware of it, the State-level competitions for
>the National Geographic Society's National Geography Bee will be held
>this Friday, March 29, 1996.  If the competition is held at a site
>near your map collection, you might want to pop in and watch.  It is
>a very good opportunity to make contacts with Geography teachers
>and students in your state, and test your knowledge of obscure
>geographic facts.
>
>Linda Zellmer
>University of Wyoming
>(Wyoming State Bee Judge)

"The more complex and sophisticated our systems of
lateral access,  the more we sacrifice in the way of depth."
Sven Birkerts (in The Gutenberg Elegies, 1995)

James Boxall (Map Curator)
Map Collection, Science Services
Killam Library, Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Canada    B3H 4M8
(t) 902-494-3757
(f) 902-494-2062
(e) [log in to unmask]

Host Site for the Association of Canadian Map Libraries and Archives 1996
Annual Meeting

http://is.dal.ca/~gsbrown/acmla96.html

"What in observation is loose and vague
is in information deceptive and treacherous"
Francis Bacon, 1621