From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 07:49:02 -0600
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject:        High-resolution census data for Katrina relief
Date:   Tue, 29 Nov 2005
From:   Jane Read <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Angela Cope <[log in to unmask]>

 Note: the link to the data is also available from the UCGIS web page
via the GIS Resources for Hurricane Katrina link.

ANNOUNCEMENT
We have just made publicly available moderate and high resolution grids
of
US census data for the gulf-states, at:
http://beta.sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/katrina2005.html .These data are
derived from the census block data, and additional forthcoming variables
(in
income, housing stock, and public assistance derived from the
block-group
data) will soon be made available. The data are gridded rather than the
native census vector data for easy in analysis with geophysical and
other
geographic data. We are undertaking some of these analyses ourselves, at
Columbia University, (and I can inform you of findings as they become
available,) but our first priority has been to make the grids publicly
available and provide them to the some of the agencies providing relief
in
the region. The data are available for download from the above URL. I
hope
that they may be useful to the UCGIS community.

Cordially yours,

Deborah Balk

Deborah Balk
Associate Research Scientist and Project Scientist (SEDAC) CIESIN
(Center
for International Earth Science Information Network) Columbia University
(www.ciesin.columbia.edu)
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Phone:  (845) 365-8965 (office)
        (845) 664-4223 (mobile)
Fax:            (845) 365-8922

Mailing address:                        Building address:
CIESIN                          202 Geosciences
Columbia University             Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory
P.O. Box 1000                   61 Route 9W
Palisades, New York 10964       Palisades, New York 10964

---
You are currently subscribed to all as: [log in to unmask]
If you are prompted for a password send an email to [log in to unmask]