From:
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 14:40:59 -0400
Subject: RE: [ Re: [ cataloging AMS/DMA world maps series]]
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 12:57:24 -0400
From: "Barry, John W. [C]" <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Hi group!
The National Imagery and Mapping Agency catalogs its map and chart
holdings
to the sheet level, but we only have records for the most recent
editions.
We have not retained records for AMS and DMA produced items if they have
been superceded by later edition NIMA products.  There are Series
History
records set up for each series, but they are mainly templates for the
series
sheets.

We use the Voyager ILS from Endeavor Information Systems, and our
records
are in MARC format.  As for actually getting our records, we share a
limited
amount of records with LC, but we are still in a transitionary state
since
our records are not fully compliant with OCLC standards.  Much of an
average
record contains legacy data that has no corresponding "official" map
cataloging value, but is essential for our internal customers. SOoooo...
Things are complicated.

Hope this didn't muddle the issue even further :)

John W Barry [C]
NIMA-GTDR-Voyager Team
Bethesda, MD
(T) 301-227-2103 (F) 301-227-5059