From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 17:09:52 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 11:14:01 -0400
From: ahudson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: off-site storage <fwd>
Sender: ahudson <[log in to unmask]>

We are in much the same situation at NYPL, and I too, would welcome input. My
feeling right now, is for these jokers not to design new types of mapcases, but
to deal with material in mapcases. For example, our thousands of maps which
might be placed in such a facility are filed in large "folders" within the
drawers, and so we hope that not individual maps, but barcoded folders would be
retrieved, returned here for staff to work with, hand material to reader, return
material to folder, which then goes back as a unit to storage. We, at least in
the Map Division staff, are hoping for as little tarted up design from
architects and such as possible. We are also hoping for as little interaction as
possible with individual map sheets by anyone or anything outside the Map
Divison staff. I am speaking for myself here, and not high muckymucks or remote
storage "experts"--just a curator hoping to both cooperate with the remote
storage efforts, and protect the collections, even the lesser used collections.
Alice Hudson, Map Division, NYPL