From:
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2013 11:48:47 -0500
Subject:        264 dates for maps
Date:   Fri, 15 Mar 2013 14:58:50 +0000
From:   Skarich, Bojana <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

Hi All,

In going over the new RDA field 264, I’m having a little trouble
understanding just how to apply this to maps cataloging. I thought I’d
ask the maps cataloging community what you think. Since we’re often
missing a date of publication for maps, does anyone have any tips on how
to interpret dates on maps in order to populate the 264 field dates? Is
it even critical for user access to populate all these fields? I catalog
a lot of rare maps that don’t have a copyright date or a publication
date, in some cases.

For example, what do you think belongs in the following fields:

264_0 Production date

264_1 Publication date

264_2 Distribution date

264_3 Manufacture date

264_4 Copyright date

Thanks for any suggestions you may have on this J

Bojana

Bojana Skarich

Non-Print Catalog Librarian

Michigan State University Libraries