From:
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 1993 11:25:17 EDT
Here are two messages on the Cal. Quad question.-------Johnnie

-----------------------------------

          Wed, 23 Jun 1993 14:04 MST
      DEBBIE LORDS  <[log in to unmask]>
          Re: California quad question

Jim,
     I have been able to identify 3 so far.  And to link it to an earlier
discussion, I was able to by consulting 034 fields in our records of the 15
minute maps.  I know that the usual pattern for these is that the 15 minute
map had the name of one of the 7.5 maps and, for what I found, that pattern
held:

Bieber quadrangle parents:
   41121 A1        Hog Valley, Bieber, Big Swamp, Lookout

Fall River Mills parents:
   41121 A3        Pittville, Fall River Mills, Day, Timbered Crater

Crank Mountain parents:
   41121 C1        Halls Canyon, Donica Mtn, Happy Camp Mtn, Crank Mtn

Based on past experience, I suggest that the parent to the Bonnie Claire
grouping is probably Bonnie Claire and that the Orange Cove South grouping
may be Orange Cove.  Lastly it is likely that the High Peak grouping has Mt
Schader as its parent.

At one point I was asked why our library entered our 7.5 min. and 15 min.
quads into our system by quad title.  I'm glad we do and that we insisted the
coordinates be there.  I'll check for the rest on the list and let you know.
We have converted all of our 7.5 and 15 min. California quads, but haven't
gotten to Nevada yet.

Debbie Lords
Marriott Library
University of Utah
Salt Lake City, Utah  84112

          Wed, 23 Jun 1993 14:33 MST
      DEBBIE LORDS  <[log in to unmask]>
          Re: California quad question

Jim,
     I found one more title:  Whitehorse is the parent quad for the Egg Lake
group.  Sorry for the double posting.  I found border quads for most of those
on the list (again using the 034 against Jim's USGS Ref Code Stem -- please
keep the 034 in records).  I also noticed that the 15 min. maps indicate the
bordering quads so if you can get hold of those maps, you can get the names
from there.  If no one else knows the names of others, let me know and I can
re-run my search and do leg (rather than finger) work.  They are listed in
our system because, at the time, we were working from the physical map, not
just a shelf listing.

Debbie Lords