From:
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:43:55 -0500
Subject: Re: world map projection for web]
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 16:28:31 -0600
From: James R. Carter <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
This is an interesting question for you say nothing about what you want the
map to do or why you want a map on the web.  I assume you want an outline
map as a reference for the world or perhaps to show thematic data.  No,
there are too many options available to fall back on Mercator.  For a look
at a few of the hundreds of projections that are available, check out the
map gallery by Paul B. Anderson
at:  http://www.ilstu.edu/microcam/map_projections/

These maps can be captured and used on the web, given the conditions listed
at the site.  Pick through this site and find something consistent with
what you want the projection to do.  Do you want a map projection centered
on Australia?  Do you want a map that is equal area?  You should if you
want to portray a distribution of some values.  Perhaps you want to
consider an interrupted projection if the focus is on land areas and the
oceans are not as important.

Good luck on finding that projection that serves your multiplicity of needs.

Jim Carter

At 2/21/2005, you wrote:
> [...]

Dr. James R. "Jim" Carter, Professor, Geography/Geology Department
and Graduate Coordinator, Hydrogeology Masters Program
Illinois State University, Normal, IL 61790-4400 USA
                      -- http://www.ilstu.edu/~jrcarter --
tel: (309) 438-2833                                 fax: (309) 438-5310