From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michal Okonek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 14:59:53 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 23:31:59 +0100
From: Michal Okonek <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Windows NT & atlases
Sender: Michal Okonek <[log in to unmask]>

Hi again Maureen,

I forgot to add the most importatnt electronic map of the world (in my
oppinion) to my list:

NIMA (National Imagery and Mapping Agency) VMap0 (Vector Map Level 0), which
is a digitized version of the ONC - Operational Navigation Chart at
1:1,000,000. It comes on 4 CDROMs and can be obtained from your local USGS
map dealer for $100 or something.

It also runs under WinNT, however you'll need additional software in order
to visualize the map content. It's called NIMAMUSE (National Imagery and
Mapping Agency Mapping, Charting & Geodesy Software Environment) and can be
downloaded from the NIMA's web site (www.nima.mil) at no cost.

If you're using ArcInfo or ArcView in your library there's also a version of
VMAP0 designed specifically to meet the needs of ArcInfo users. It's called
DCW (Digital Chart of the World) and is available from ESRI for $300 or so.

Thanks,

Michael Okonek

At 15:45 99-11-22 -0500, you wrote:
>Thank you for your speedy reply.  Your list was really impressive and
>will be very helpful. I will pursue some of these titles.
>We already had Global Explorer (an older version) and earlier versions
>of DeLorme Street Atlas & Software Toolworks atlases. (We are having
>problems with version 6 of the Software Toolworks since the company was
>taken over by Mindscape.)
>Again thanks for all your help.
>Maureen
>--
>  Maureen Farrell                Email: [log in to unmask]
>  Map Collection                 Phone: (216)623-2880
>  Cleveland Public Library         Fax: (216)902-4978
>  325 Superior Avenue
>  Cleveland, OH  44114             http://www.cpl.org

--- End Forwarded Message ---