From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:54:43 -0500
Subject:        Map Scanning Projects
Date:   Fri, 15 Jun 2007 14:28:52 -0400
From:   David Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
To:     maps-l <[log in to unmask]>, Discussion group for map history

Colleagues -

The Harvard Map Collection has recently completed a cataloging project
for our antiquarian maps that resulted in the cataloging of our
collection from New England south to South Carolina. From this group of
maps we have selected several maps to be conserved and scanned and these
maps are now available for online viewing and study. They have all been
submitted to the American Library Association Map & Geography Round
Table Map Scanning Registry
(http://mapregistry.library.arizona.edu/cgi/index.pl) hosted at the
University of Arizona. Reviewing this site periodically will allow all
of us to be aware of the various scanning projects that are being
planned, are underway, or have been completed.

We are now moving into another project entitled 'Imaging the Urban
Environment' which will allow us to catalog and digitally image maps and
views of ca. 22 cities worldwide (i.e. Boston, New York, Chicago,
London, Paris, Vienna, etc.) which will support curriculum course needs
of a diverse group of Harvard faculty. This project is also allowing us
to digitally image some of our earlier land ownership and fire insurance
atlases that may be viewed in our Digital Page Delivery Service. As this
project progresses we will be adding this information to the above noted
registry. We hope that some of these items will be useful to our
colleagues working with maps and atlases.

David

--
David A. Cobb
Harvard Map Collection