From:
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2013 06:42:17 -0500
forwarded by Angie

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: New OS County Map records available for England and Wales
(1841-1952)
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 10:07:48 +0000
From: Fleet, Christopher <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

For all clickable-graphic index fans, and OS county map searchers... we
have just completed a project over the last year to list all of our
holdings of Ordnance Survey six-inch and 25 inch to the mile County
Series maps of England and Wales - 152,332 records in total - and were
keen to publicise in the hope others may find this useful.

We have linked the County Series records to sheet boundary extents to
create clickable graphic indexes to all the sheets, and included the
results with our County Series and National Grid sheet records for
Scotland, which were listed some years ago.

Our new, renamed 'OS sheet records viewer' (
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/records/  ) replaces our former OS National Grid
viewer, and provides a single interface for viewing all these sheet map
records. It provides clickable indexes for OS County Series maps at
1:2,500 and 1:10,560 that were published for anywhere in the United
Kingdom from 1841-1952. This includes all the editions of map sheets at
these scales held by NLS, but also indicates which sheets we know were
published that NLS does not hold - especially early 25 inch editions. So
we hope the viewer provides a geographic portal for discovering when
large-scale OS maps were surveyed, revised and published for any
particular area - and which were published as combined sheets, insets,
extended and outsize sheets, etc. The viewer also includes sheetlines of
National Grid maps at 1:10,000 and larger scales for England and Wales,
but currently only specific dates of these National Grid maps for Scotland.

We realise that this metadata is fairly basic - essentially recording
sheet references, survey/revision and publication dates, and not looking
at further marginalia such printing states, reprint codes, etc., etc. We
realise it falls far short of typical carto-bibliographies by Roger
Hellyer... but we hope that this listing is still of some value at a
basic level for those interested in discovering sheets and dates of
published OS large-scale mapping.

We are very grateful to EDINA for funding the collection of this OS
County map metadata.

View the OS county map records at: http://maps.nls.uk/geo/records/

Chris Fleet
Senior Map Curator
National Library of Scotland
159 Causewayside
EDINBURGH
EH9 1PH
United Kingdom.

Tel. 0131 623 3973
Fax. 0131 623 3971
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Map Images website: http://maps.nls.uk

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

National Library of Scotland, Scottish Charity, No: SCO11086

This communication is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not
the addressee please inform the sender and delete the email from your
system. The statements and opinions expressed in this message are those
of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of National Library
of Scotland. This message is subject to the Data Protection Act 1998 and
Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002. No liability is accepted for
any harm that may be caused to your systems or data by this message.

www.nls.uk