From:
MICHAEL GOLD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 1993 12:18:57 EDT
There have been several qustions over the last few months on Eastern
European place names.  Here are two books that might help.

By Gary Mokotoff,  "Where  We Once Walked:  A Guide to Jewish
Communities Destroyed in the Holocaust"
Teaneck, NJ, Avotaynu, 1991.
514 pages.

This is an excellent book that includes many cross references from
German, Polish, Yiddish, and Russian.

Chester G. Cohen,   Shtetl Finder:  Jewish Communities in the 19th
and early 20th Centuries in the pale of....
Los Angeles, Periday Co., 1980

145 pages with maps.
(shtetl is a small town)

There is a bibliography for Jewish genealogical research that
includes more sources.  If you are interested, please e-mail me.

Michael Gold

416-591-2285