Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2007 16:18:41 -0500
Subject:        Re: Brazillian air photos
Date:   Thu, 12 Apr 2007 16:08:26 EDT
From:   [log in to unmask]
To:     [log in to unmask]

    I have a feeling that this patron may not be referring to aerial
photography at all, but rather to radar imaging that was done to
facilitate mapping through cloud cover in the Amazon basin.  I have a
vague recollection reading about this in the professional literature,
since it was very innovative at the time.  These radar images were used
to create 1:250,000 scale maps, including (I think) maps of Brazil in
the DMA "Americas" series.  Relevant information can be found by doing a
search in Google combining Brazil maps with "radar" or "cloud cover."
Since the 1960s, a lot of satellite images have become available for
Brazil, which may be more useful for your patron.

David Allen
Encinitas, CA

See what's free at AOL.com <http://www.aol.com?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000503>.