From:
Ross Togashi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 1995 15:46:12 EDT
Greetings,

To store our collection of plastic raised relief maps, we use vertical
"plan hold" racks.  They are available thru drafting and graphic arts
stores.  The more heavily used maps are placed on "mobile" racks and
are located out in the Map Room's study area.  The rest of the raised
relief maps are filed using stationary racks that are bolted to a
storage room wall.  They do take up valuable space, but it is a good
way of keeping them from harm.

At the moment we do not frame them, but attach 2 or 3 wide pieces of
tyvek tape to one edge of each map and clamp the "plan hold rod" to the
tyvek tape.  The tape acts as a hinge.  Clamping the rod directly to the
plastic map would probably crack the map eventually with use.

Aloha,
Ross Togashi
University of Hawaii at Manoa
Hamilton Library - Map Collection