From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 14:45:44 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 17:28:44 -0800 (PST)
From: Lily Wai <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: What's new on INSIDE Idaho Website
Sender: Lily Wai <[log in to unmask]>

Hello, All:

I just want you to know the new features we added to our website since
our last communication.  We welcome your input and comments on these new
features.  (http://inside.uidaho.edu)

1. The TIGER95 data are complete.  Instead of just being able to download
all 29 themes for a county at one time, users can download the themes
individually now.  We are getting ready for the new Census 2000 data
releases and our site will host both the population data and the TIGER
data for our state, when they are ready sometime in the spring.  This is
just a preview of what is to come.  Ten libraries in the state will be
involved in providing public access to these data and for the
Redistricting process that is to take place in the summer months this
year.

2. The Tutorial section is finally done.  The detailed step by step
tutorial is designed to help users understand how the website is
organized, what data are available, and how they can use the data.

Overview, Data Organization, GIS, Standards, Metadata sections provide an
overall understanding of the project and the data available on the web
site.  Download, Software, Decompression, and Application sections offer
step-by-step instructions on how to download, decompress, and view GIS
data with appropriate mapping software, and data applications.  In
addition, a Glossary section and a FAQ section are added to explain terms
or questions posted by site users.

The input provided by the librarians last summer while we did the training
workshops were invaluable in helping us to write the Tutorial.

3. Based on the excellent suggestion from a GIS professional we have made
the following changes to the metadata section:

The source image date is now presented when the user selects the
"Quarter-Quad Info" radio button prior to downloading the DOQQs.
Additionally, that suggestion was taken a step further. For the
    - 1:24,000 DRGs in UTM
    - 1:100,000 DRGs in UTM
    - 1:250,000 DRGs in UTM
    - DOQQs in UTM

users can now view metadata for the individual files. There is a User
Defined Link at the top of each of the series level metadata for user to
access the individual file level metadata.  (We understand that the source
image date is very important for the GIS professionals.)

4. Some people were having difficulty using the map interface (downloading
7.5-minute DRGs and 3.75-minute DOQQs).  A help link has been added to
explain the process.  This stems from the FAQ section of the Tutorial and
we can continue to add help link throughout the site as the suggestions
are made to us from you all.

Lily Wai, INSIDE Idaho Project Director   Phone: 208-885-6344
Professor, Head of Government Documents   Fax:   208-885-6817
University of Idaho Library (0135)        E-Mail:[log in to unmask]
Rayburn Street                            http://www.lib.uidaho.edu/govdoc
Moscow, Idaho 83844-2353                  http://inside.uidaho.edu

--- End Forwarded Message ---