From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 2010 11:52:20 -0500
Subject:        RE: subject cataloging -- Maps, Tourist heading
Date:   Wed, 8 Sep 2010 12:47:16 -0400
From:   Grabach, Kenneth A. Mr. <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

Thank you, Nancy, for the reply below.  Thanks also go to Katherine
Rankin and to Jimmie Lundgren for your helpful replies.

Like Katherine, I believe I had seen the announcement, but this was the
reminder.  When one is doing additional duties, and not cataloging only,
it becomes a challenge to remember a single change.  I am dismayed to
find that the effective date precedes my use of the older form for
several maps.  In these, OCLC Connexion allowed me to use the old form
when I controlled the subject heading.  This continued through last
week.  It was not until yesterday that

651 $v Maps, Tourist was refused as a valid heading.  So I didn't
investigate until yesterday.  I have not been in the habit of using
genre headings.  It will now be necessary to add an additional heading,
so that all maps with tourist information are retrieved.  I am keen to
see what gets done with

650 Roads $z [location] $v Maps.  We had to change this one from 651
[place] $v Road maps several years ago.

Ken Grabach                           <[log in to unmask]>

Maps Librarian                          Phone: 513-529-1726

Miami University Libraries

Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA