From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2009 07:57:55 -0600
Subject:        RE: Phoenix street network data
Date:   Sat, 14 Feb 2009 12:28:52 -0800
From:   Edward Sullivan <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>

This is a bit "outside the box", but rather than going to the trouble of
locating, standardizing, and performing quality checks on 'free' road
network and address layers, I've lately taken to using the Batch Geocode
site to do many of my smaller (< 5,000 addresses) geocoding tasks -

http://www.batchgeocode.com/

I believe the Yahoo! Geocoding API this 'mashup' page utilizes is using
the very good GDT/TeleAtlas road network base maps, so the quality of
the results are typically as good or better than what I can accomplish
with free data and desktop GIS geocoders.

There are more advanced batch geocoding services available to academic
users without charge from the USC GIS Research Laboratory:

https://webgis.usc.edu/

Edward A. Sullivan, III
Senior Technical Associate
Economic & Planning Systems, Inc.
2501 9th Street, Suite 200, Berkeley, CA, 94710-2515
Voice: 510-841-9190      FAX: 510-841-9208
Email: [log in to unmask]
Web site: www.epsys.com

Due to the potential that information exchanged by electronic media can
deteriorate, be damaged, lost or modified, intentionally or otherwise,
use of this electronic data by anyone other than Economic & Planning
Systems, Inc. shall be at the sole risk of such user and without
liability or legal exposure to Economic & Planning Systems, Inc.

The recipient is responsible for verifying the accuracy of data against
governing hard copy documentation.  If there is a discrepancy between
the hard copy and the electronic copy, the hard copy will govern.

Recipient assumes all risks in the changing or modification of data and
revisions or updating of hard copy documents.