From:
Bradley Andersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 1995 15:38:50 EST
>    A faculty member in our Anthropology Department is compiling a
>composite map of the United States showing significant place names of
>Native American origin. The map, a project for the Mashantucket
>Pequot museum opening, will include rivers, mountains, major
>cities,lakes, and possibly other features. She would very much
>appreciate any references to existing maps with Native American
>placenames, and particularly those that would include the regional
>southwest, plains or west coast.
>Bragdon.
>
>Karen Berquist
>Geology Department Library
>College of William & Mary

The Minnesota Historical Society has several sources of materials (maps and
books) on Native American names for Minnesota and the eastern Dakotas.  I
know that they have copies of a map drawn by Joseph Nicollet during his
expedition in the 1830's as well as several books discussing Native American
names for places within this region (both Ojibwa and Dakota names). I also
know that the college library here at the Sisseton Wahpeton Community
College has some of that same information.  I hope that this can help you
get a start on the northcentral plains area.

  Brad Andersen, Instructor
  Sisseton Wahpeton Community College