From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2009 08:01:33 -0600
Subject:        RE: Nevada Digital Dirt Mapping Project or the Death of Paper
maps
Date:   Thu, 08 Jan 2009 16:44:00 -0800
From:   Virginia R. Hetrick, Ph.D. <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

For Doug (since Kurt's email isn't in what you forwarded; could you
forward to him, please):

First, for you, thanks for including the Death of Paper Maps as part of
the email subject that got my attention and then Digital Dirt that
caused me to look at the blog and the slideshow.  I really liked the
idea of scientists getting down in the dirt!

Now, on the subject of your email proper, one of the things that strikes
me about Kurt's presentation is that even on a dual-monitor system with
a horizontal size of 2560 and vertical size of 1280 pixels, I wasn't
able to distinguish lots of the annotations, even pixelated, even though
I was wearing the appropriate glasses.  The second thing is that, in
some images, the text materials, even when extracted and displayed at a
larger size, were not legible.  Ditto the glasses comment.

So, while the principle of dead paper maps may be admirable, one of the
things people need to understand is that they need to prepare the
electronic materials so they can be enlarged/reduced on the fly by
people with different abilities and, when necessary, printed in part to
serve some purpose that Kurt and others may not have considered when
they were preparing the map.

On a slightly related subject, I've been running with a G3 phone for the
last two months and much as I like the access to the GPS system and to
the Internet, the inability to read the screen (with the appropriate
glasses) when in bright sunlight, makes both the phone and a connected
computer irrelevant for me in the field.  I was unable to read maps on
either system, even when inside the car where the screen of each was not
in bright sunlight.

\ /     Virginia R. Hetrick, here in sunny California
0      Email:  [log in to unmask]
Oo     "There is always hope."
My fave:  http://www.washington.edu/cambots/camera1_l.gif