From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 16:42:11 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 11:16:55 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: the world's best globe? <fwd>
Sender: [log in to unmask]

     I know this subject has been discussed on Maps-L before, but I was
looking forward to seeing some replies, since I happen to be in the market
for a new globe right now.

     We have a 32" Repogle Library Globe, which I like very much, but which
is about twenty years out of date.  The ideal replacement would probably be
the Repogle Diplomat, which may well be the world's best globe, but which
costs $6000 from Omni.  For a mere $1700 you can buy a Repogle Statesman,
but it is a mere 20" in diameter.  Omni also sells a 30" "Giant Relief
Globe" by Nutri-Systems for $695.  I am curious what others think of this
globe, or of other alternatives to Repogle for large globes.

     In addition to Omni, Map Link and A World of Maps sell globes, and
have photos of many of them on their Websites.  Links to all three sites
can be found (among many other places) from my home page at
<http://www.sunysb.edu/libmap/comlinks.htm>.

David Allen
Map Librarian
SUNY Stony Brookl