From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeffrey W Sarver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 08:32:37 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 16:17:24 -0400
From: Jeffrey W Sarver <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Kramer Hammock
Sender: Jeffrey W Sarver <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Ms Zeeb-Roman,

This is in response to your inquiry regarding the location of a geographic
feature named
Kramer Hammock or Kramer's Hammock.

Unfortunately, after searching our library of place names literature, as
well as the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS), the Nations
official repository of geographic names, we were unable to locate a feature
with that name in the vicinity of Shark Valley Lookout Tower.

As you know, there are numerous hammocks (areas of high ground) throughout
South Florida that are shown, but not named, on US Geological Survey (USGS)
topographic maps. The GNIS lists 35 such features in Miami-Dade County,
although this is undoubtedly a very small percentage of the total number
even though many other sources have been examined. However, you may be
interested to know that this office has just become involved in a project,
which is intended to produce a detailed Geographic analysis of South
Florida, specifically the Everglades National Park. As part of this
project, various Local, State, and Federal agencies will be submitting to
us large numbers of new and existing names for geographic features
throughout the area of study. We understand many of these names apply to
hammocks, both for those that are depicted on USGS maps and for others,
which are too small to appear on even the large- scale topographic series.
As we receive these names they will be evaluated and added to the GNIS,
along with their location attributes.

In view of this forthcoming project, we shall retain your inquiry in our
files, and should the name Kramer Hammock be included, we shall notify you
of our findings. Meanwhile, you may wish to contact the following
organizations for further assistance in your search.

Everglades National Park
Attn: Archivist
40001 State Road 9336
Homestead, Fl. 33034-6733

Historical Association of Southern Florida
Historical Museum
101 West Flagler Street
Miami, FL 33130
PH. (305) 375-1492

Mr. Gordon Winslow
Archivist and Historian
9350 NW 12th Street
Miami, FL 33172

We regret that we were unable to help you in your research. However, if
during the course of you research, you determine the location of Kramer
Hammock, or Kramer's Hammock, we would be pleased to have that information
for our files. Please let us know if we can assist you in the future.

For Manager GNIS
Jeff Sarver
U.S. Geological Survey
Geographic Names Office
http://geonames.usgs.gov

                    Johnnie
                    Sutherland             To:     [log in to unmask]
                    <jsutherl@arche        cc:
                    s.uga.edu>             Subject:     Kramer Hammock <fwd>
                    Sent by: Maps
                    and Air Photo
                    Systems Forum
                    <MAPS-L@LISTSER