From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Geoffrey Forbes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 15:51:43 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 14:51:57 -0600
From: Geoffrey Forbes <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: GIS Datasets
Sender: Geoffrey Forbes <[log in to unmask]>

Dear David,

Early this year NIMA released two new products that will be of interest.  Replacing DCW was World Vector Shoreline Plus, based on the 1:250,000 scale JOGs rather than the 1:1,000,000 scale ONCs.  This dataset offers so much more accurate detail than DCW, the contrast is stunning.  It can be purchased on CD ROM through USGS Business Partners such as ourselves. Also based on the JOGs is VMAP-1, world vector data.  Some of these tiles are no longer available from NIMA through the USGS, although they are still available from East View.  In most cases when NIMA stops distributing data, they do not forbid the data's resale by agents that already acquired it.  I do not know if any of this data is distributed through any depository programs, but in any case, not everyone will find the raw format (VPF) very user-friendly.  Therefore we offer all of it converted to any of the widely-used formats (TAB, SHP, etc.) at no extra charge to academic libraries.  You may find more information and samples at the following web link:

http://www.cartographic.com/geospatial_products_more.asp

Best regards,

Geoffrey Forbes
Director of Operations