From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 2005 08:33:46 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L
RE MAPS-L: Halle Library Eastern Michigan Depository Library celebrates
40th anniversary
DA Fri, 14 October 2005
FR Angie
TO Maps-L

 From the ECHO Online from Eastern Michigan University

http://www.easternecho.com/cgi-bin/story.cgi?11142

Library celebrates anniversary
Halle recognizes 40 years of acting as federal depository

By John Ryan / Staff Writer
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 14, 2005

Photo by John Ryan

Congressman John Dingell speaks Tuesday at a ceremony commemorating the
date Halle Library became a federal depository.
Eastern Michigan recently celebrated the 40th anniversary of its library
as a federal depository. Halle Library was designated a federal
depository in 1965 by U.S. Congressman Watson E. Vivian.

"The army discovered [during World War II] that they didn't have many
maps available to them," said Joanne Hansen, Halle's map librarian. "So
they called on all the public libraries and universities for maps. After
the war, they said this wouldn't happen again to them. They would supply
the maps and place them strategically throughout the U.S."

Hansen was working at the EMU library the year it was designated as a
federal depository. She was then working as the science and technology
librarian.

"I thought it was a great source of information for us to have available
here," she said. "It was a free source of information. Although we had
to take care of the sources, it was still free to us. The major
collections of maps that we hold are government documents."

According to an EMU news release, Halle Library receives approximately
33 percent of all available government publications.

"Most of the maps we receive are from the government," Hansen said. "We
hold maps such as the U.S. Geological Survey, Central Intelligence
Agency maps and National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency maps."

In 1965, EMU was then known as the Michigan State Normal College and was
one of 45 colleges in the United States that was chosen as a federal
depository.

"Our director at the time worked tirelessly to make us a federal
depository," Hansen said. "We were one of the first teachers colleges
west of the Allegheny. We were known to produce notable graduates and
had nationally renowned staff on hand here, so I think that worked in
our favor, as well."

Some of the documents people might find range from things such as Census
data to a 1976 government report on the 1890 Sioux Indian massacre to
official records of the Union and Confederate Armies.

The 40th anniversary of the EMU library federal depository was
commemorated with a shadowbox presented by Congressman John Dingell,
D-Mich., in honor of Halle library's services and also with two displays
that will be out for viewing through Sunday.

.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._

ANGIE COPE
American Geographical Society Library
UW Milwaukee
2311 E. Hartford Avenue