From:
Linda Zellmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 1995 21:18:29 EST
The Wyoming Board of Geographic Names, which has been an unofficial
body, was recently established as a formal group by Executive Order
of Wyoming's Governor.  At about the same time, we started to work on
Phase II, collecting local usage names and names that are not in the
GNIS database.  In going through some of the place name books for
the state, we found that one of the names that is not in the database
is (gasp) the Teton Range.  So, the beginning of the Board press
release states:

"According to the U.S. Geological Survey's GNIS database, the Teton
Range does not exist in Wyoming."

The AP picked up on it.  Their short piece starts:

There's a Grand Teton and a Middle Teton near Jackson.  South
Dakota's got a Fort Teton.  There's even a Grand Teton Shopping Mall
somewhere in eastern Idaho.  But, according to the U.S. Geological
Survey's Geographic Names Information System, there's no Teton
Mountain Range.

It continues to state that the Board will solve this and other
ommissions.  But, I just thought that you might get a few chuckles
out of this one.

Bye for now,

Linda Zellmer