From:
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 16:28:54 -0400
Subject:        Re: folded and flat maps (was: BLM map folding)]
Date:   Wed, 07 Apr 2004 08:50:47 -0400
From:   Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>

Although I cannot answer the question of why any particular agency
suddenly switches producing their maps in folded form to flat or vice
versa, I did want to say that -- in terms of a preservation/conservation
standpoint -- suddenly refolding maps that have been laid flat in map
drawers for any length of time is not a good idea. As a maps cataloger
for a good many years I've had my hands on literally tens of thousands
of map sheets and invariably the ones that are falling apart have either
been filed/re-filed sloppily or in too-full drawers causing crushing
and/or wrinkles and tears OR have been folded and unfolded enough times
that the paper has weakened along the fold lines causing tears at those
points. So, if they're already stored flat, leave 'em flat and add your
new folded ones to the collection in flat form, if at all possible
(sometimes space issues cause a different decision).

Sincerely,

Paige Andrew
Faculty Maps Cataloger
Pennsylvania State University Libraries